Subject: Sources of Meteorological Data FAQ Part 1/2
From: [email-masked] (Ilana Stern)
Date: 10 May 1994 11:00:13 GMT
Newsgroups: sci.geo.meteorology,news.answers,sci.answers

Archive-name: weather/data/part1
Last-modified: 9 May 1994

Recent changes:

  ==within last two weeks==
Added rainbow.ldgo.columbia.edu WWW site for climate data 
Added GOES-8 images to gopher.ssec.wisc.edu site information

  ==within last four weeks==
Changed "Introduction" section to "Overview" to fit better with html version
Changed "Special event images" to "...information", and added "Text" 
  category 
Added pointer to www.ngdc.noaa.gov Tropical Cyclone Weekly summary
Added www.atmos.uiuc.edu, the U of I "The Daily Planet" WWW server
Added thunder.atms.purdue.edu WWW site for the Purdue Weather Processor
Added jwocky.gsfc.nasa.gov ftp site for Nimbus-7 and Meteor-3 daily 
  gridded Total Ozone Mapping Spectrometer (TOMS) ozone data
Added ccg.cmdl.erl.gov ftp site for NOAA/CMDL carbon dioxide and methane data
Added sci-ed.fit.edu WWW pointer site
Added graupel.mit.edu WWW radar lab site

This is a guide to Internet sources of meteorological, oceanographic,
and geophysical data.  Contents:

 1)  Overview
 2)  How to get a current copy of this document
 3)  How to use this document
 4)  Topic Index 
 5)  List of sites
 6)  How to use the data retrieval methods

Each (major) section has a "Subject:" line, so you can search on the
subject title above to find the section quickly.

---------------
Subject:  Overview

This is part 1 of a guide to various sources of meteorological, 
oceanographic, and geophysical data.  Some of these data sets are intended 
for enjoyment or hobbyist use;  other data are more research-oriented.  
Much of the research data is not free and is not directly available over 
the network; usually, only information about this data is available, and 
you must place an order for the actual data.

The contents of this series of FAQs are:

Part 1:  Meteorological data available via the Internet
Part 2:  Meteorological data available via tape, CD-ROM, and other media

The section on mailing lists which used to be included in this FAQ
is now a separate FAQ, "Mailing lists and newsgroups for meteorology".

This article is copyright (c) 1993 by Ilana Stern.  It may be freely
distributed for non-commercial purposes only, provided that this copyright 
notice and the instructions on retrieving a current copy are not 
removed.  The information in this article is provided as-is, with no
warranties or assurances as to its accuracy.  I prefer that archives
maintain current copies, since this information changes rapidly.  If
you would like to put this article in an archive and want to receive
a new copy automatically at every update, please send me email.  

Corrections, additions, and comments should be sent to Ilana Stern at
[email-masked].  Please include in your message where you read
this document.  Note that if I know about it, it's in this document.

---------------
Subject:  How to get a current copy of this document

If you are reading this document after 24 May 1994, you are reading an 
outdated copy. A current copy can be obtained by anonymous FTP to 
rtfm.mit.edu, from the file weather/data/part1 in the directory 
/pub/usenet/news.answers.  These files are updated every two weeks, 
when a new copy is posted to sci.geo.meteorology, news.answers,
and sci.answers.  This document also appears on the mailing lists
CLIMLIST and met-stud, which are described in the FAQ, "Mailing Lists
for Meteorology".

If you can't use FTP, send email to [email-masked] with 
send /pub/usenet/news.answers/weather/data/part1 
as the only text in the message (leave the subject blank).

Other sources for this document:
ftp://vmd.cso.uiuc.edu/wx/sources.doc
http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/hypertext/faq/usenet/weather/top.html
  (in somewhat hypertext form!)

---------------
Subject:  How to use this document

  As the amount of information available over the networks has been 
increasing, so have the methods by which this information can be obtained.  
No longer is direct usage of FTP the only, or even the most frequent, method 
of obtaining data;  we now have Gopher, Wais, and WWW, as well as many
site-specific interfaces.  Because the information itself may be accessible
in many different ways, this FAQ will identify resources in terms of
URLs (Uniform Resource Locators).  This will also help convert this
FAQ to a hypertext document, so that it can be used with a WWW browser
to go directly to any of the listed sources.
  Here's a glossary, so you can decode the URLs if necessary to reach 
the sites: 

        ftp://host.name.domain/directory/[filename]     ftp site
        http://host.name.domain/directory/[filename]    www server
        telnet://host.name.domain                       telnet site
        gopher://host.name.domain                       gopher server
        wais://host.name.domain                         wais server
        news:newsgroup.name                             newsgroup

  So, for example, if a document is available at ftp://ncardata.ucar.edu/
it means that you should ftp to ncardata.ucar.edu, and the information is
in the top-level directory.
  If you don't know what these information retrieval methods are, see
the section "How to use the data retrieval methods".

---------------
Subject: Topic Index

1) Current weather (satellite images) 
2) Current weather and forecasts (maps, radar, soundings)
3) Current weather and forecasts (text)
4) Special event information (may be transient)
5) Other images
6) Map data
7) Research data and metadata
8) Software
9) Pointers to other resources 

This section lists the names and access protocol of sites of interest, with 
a brief blurb as to their contents.  See section 5 for more information
about these sites.  Some sites appear more than once under different subject 
headings.  Some sites have identical contents;  please use the site closest 
to you.

1. Current weather (satellite images) 

a) North America
b) Europe
c) Pacific
d) Other

a. North America

a1. Hourly GOES visible and IR (last few days)

ftp://early-bird.think.com/pub/weather/maps/
ftp://ftp.uwp.edu/pub/wx/
ftp://kestrel.umd.edu/pub/wx/
ftp://wmaps.aoc.nrao.edu/pub/wx/
ftp://wuarchive.wustl.edu/multimedia/images/wx/
ftp://wx.research.att.com/wx/
gopher://wx.atmos.uiuc.edu:70/11/Images/
gopher://metlab1.met.fsu.edu/11/images/
http://www.atmos.uiuc.edu/wxworld/html/satimg.html
afs://afs/athena.mit.edu/project/weather

a2. Daily full-disk GOES 

ftp://westsat.com/pub/images
gopher://gopher.ssec.wisc.edu:70/11/gsdc.d/

a3. Image archives (older images)

gopher://wx.atmos.uiuc.edu:70/11/Images/
ftp://westsat.com/pub/images
gopher://nevado.srcc.lsu.edu/11/Images/GOES/
gopher://nevado.srcc.lsu.edu/11/Images/AVHRR/

a4. Other

ftp://ats.orst.edu/pub/weather/
  GOES vis/IR images of North, Central America
ftp://cmits02.dow.on.doe.ca/photos/
  GOES-7, NOAA-series images of central and eastern Canada (non-current)
ftp://uriacc.uri.edu/davet.195/ (VMS)
  NOAA-11 images of the northeast US
ftp://ftp.colorado.edu/pub/weather-images/		
  Visible and IR images of the US 
ftp://wilbur.stanford.edu/pub/weathergifs/
  Visible and IR images of the US 
ftp://rainbow.physics.utoronto.ca/pub/sat_images/
  NOAA-11/12 mosaic images of North America
ftp://photo1.si.edu//More.Smithsonian.Stuff/nasm.planetarium/weather.gif/
  NOAA and other satellite images
ftp://snow.nohrsc.nws.gov/pub/jpg
  NOAA-10 and -11 AVHRR images of the US, Alaska and Canada
  false color composite of bands 1,3&4 in JPEG format
gopher://ashpool.micro.umn.edu/11/Weather/Maps/
  Visible and IR over North America
gopher://cmits02.dow.on.doe.ca/11/photos/
  GOES-7, NOAA-series images of central and eastern Canada (non-current)
gopher://downwind.sprl.umich.edu/11/Weather_Images
  US IR and vis GIF images
gopher://meteor.atms.purdue.edu/
  GOES vis, IR, composites, enhanced images over US and Indiana
gopher://metlab1.met.fsu.edu/11/images/
  GOES 1.1 km vis images of Tallahassee, Orlando, Florida
gopher://grizzly.uwyo.edu/
  GOES vis, IR images of North America, western US, eastern US, plus floater
wais://quake.think.com:210/weather/
  Searchable weather index containing satellite maps
http://thunder.atms.purdue.edu/
  GOES vis, IR, composites, enhanced images over US and Indiana
http://www.atmos.uiuc.edu/wxworld/html/satimg.html
  GOES vis and IR over North America, MPEG animations 
http://rs560.cl.msu.edu/weather/
  GOES visible and IR images over North America

b. Europe

ftp://cumulus.met.ed.ac.uk/
  Meteosat vis/IR images of Europe
ftp://ftp.sat.dundee.ac.uk/
  NOAA AVHRR images of Europe
ftp://liasun3.epfl.ch			
  Meteosat vis/IR images of Europe
ftp://plaza.aarnet.edu.au
  Full-disk GMS vis/IR images
ftp://wilbur.stanford.edu		
  Meteosat vis/IR images of Europe, Africa in gif format
http://www.met.fu-berlin.de/bilder/Met4.jpg
  Latest Meteosat vis/IR image of Europe, Africa in jpeg format
http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/
  NOAA AVHRR images of Europe
gopher://ashpool.micro.umn.edu/11/Weather/Maps
  UK, Europe, Scandinavian visible and IR
gopher://gopher.uni-bayreuth.de:70/11/Service/Meteosat/ 
  Meteosat vis/IR images of Europe
gopher://cognac-f.epfl.ch:70/11/Divers/meteo/
  Images of Europe 
http://web.nexor.co.uk/places/satelite.html/
  IR, vis images of Europe and N. Africa in gif and jpeg format
http://rs560.cl.msu.edu/weather/
  IR, vis images of Europe and N. Africa in gif and jpeg format
telnet://cspnsv.csp.it:5000/
  Meteosat images

c. Pacific

ftp://boa.gsfc.nasa.gov/Weather/gms/ (for use by east America, Europe)
  Full-disk GMS vis/IR hourly images in gif and hdf 
ftp://ftp.jcu.edu.au/JCUMetSat/
  GMS-4 images of Australia, TOGA/COARE area
ftp://explorer.arc.nasa.gov/pub/Weather/ (for use by west America)
  Full-disk GMS-4 vis/IR hourly images, GOES-7 half-hourly, in gif and hdf 
ftp://plaza.aarnet.edu.au/Weather (for use by Australia, NZ, Asia)
  Full-disk GMS vis/IR hourly images in gif and hdf 
ftp://westsat.com/pub/images/
  Full-disk GOES images of Pacific
ftp://hydro.iis.u-tokyo.ac.jp/data/noaa/
  Quick-look HRPT images of Japan, Pacific in pgm format
ftp://satftp.soest.hawaii.edu/
  5-channel and SST data from AVHRR on NOAA-11, NOAA-12, full-disk and
  TOGA/COARE GMS-4 vis/IR hourly
ftp://wilbur.stanford.edu/
  Images of Australia, TOGA/COARE area in gif format
gopher://babel.ho.bom.gov.au/11/Australian%20Weather%20Information/Images
  Images of Australia
gopher://gopher.ncc.go.jp:70/11/INFO/weather/
  GMS and NOAA images of Japan and Pacific
gopher://nippori.tkl.iis.u-tokyo.ac.jp/
  Quick-look NOAA jpg images of Pacific -- archive back to November 1992
http://rs560.cl.msu.edu/weather/
  Full-disk GMS vis/IR hourly images in gif and hdf format
http://life.anu.edu.au:80/weather.html
  Various images & forecasts for Australia, world

d. Other

gopher://gopher.ssec.wisc.edu/70/
  Antarctic composite images, worldwide composite 
http://rs560.cl.msu.edu/weather/
  Antarctic composite images, worldwide composite 
ftp://photo1.si.edu//More.Smithsonian.Stuff/nasm.planetarium/weather.gif/
  Images from various satellites 

2. Current weather and forecasts (maps, radar, soundings)

a. US maps:  6-panel, UA, surface

ftp://early-bird.think.com/pub/weather/maps/
ftp://ftp.uwp.edu/pub/wx/
ftp://kestrel.umd.edu/pub/wx/
ftp://wmaps.aoc.nrao.edu/pub/wx/
ftp://wuarchive.wustl.edu/multimedia/images/wx/

b. Other

ftp://cmits02.dow.on.doe.ca/maps/
  Canadian weather map (in French or English) (not current)
ftp://ftp.colorado.edu/pub/weather-images/
  Surface analyses, radar summaries, soundings for various locations
ftp://unidata.ucar.edu/images/
  Surface analyses, radar summaries, meteorgrams, skewT for various locations
telnet://wind.atmos.uah.edu:3000/
  Surface T, SLP, radar, wind, surface data for US and S.E. US (using WXP)
gopher://apollo.lsc.vsc.edu:70/
  Surface & upper air analyses, forecasts, meteorgrams for Vermont, N.E. US
gopher://cmits02.dow.on.doe.ca/11/maps/
  Canadian weather map (in French or English) (not current)
gopher://downwind.sprl.umich.edu/11/Weather_Images
  Current Asian, European, South American temperatures and precipitation
gopher://mcidas.uncc.edu/1mcidas.70
  Southeast US skew-T, meteorgrams, mesoscale analyses, upper-air plots
gopher://meteor.atms.purdue.edu/
  Surface & upper air analyses, forecast model output, radar, skewT, 
  meteorgrams for US states
gopher://metlab1.met.fsu.edu/
  Radar summaries, upper air plots, soundings, for US states;  surface
  plots for US states, Canada, Caribbean
gopher://grizzly.uwyo.edu/
  Four-panel US maps from forecast models, meteorgrams, forecasts for US
  states, regional surface maps, radar
gopher://unidata.ucar.edu:70/11/Images/
  Surface analyses, radar summaries, meteorgrams, skewT for various locations
gopher://vortex.weather.brockport.edu/11/
  Forecast model output (ECMWF, NMC), Oswego lake effect model output images
gopher://wx.atmos.uiuc.edu:70/11/Images/
  Six-panel US maps (various variables), UA and surface maps (US, Canada)
http://rs560.cl.msu.edu/weather/
  Six-panel US maps (various weather variables), radar maps
http://aristarchus.rutgers.edu/weather.html
  Weather map with radar (US) (updated every 20 minutes!):
http://cs.indiana.edu/weather/panels.html 
  Six-panel US maps
http://cs.indiana.edu/weather/surface.html 
  Current surface weather map
http://thunder.atms.purdue.edu/
  Surface & upper air analyses, forecast model output, radar, skewT, 
  meteorgrams for US states
http://www.atmos.uiuc.edu/wxworld/html/top.html
  Surface and upper air analyses, 6-panel maps, soundings, forecast model
  output for US and US regions
http://www.mit.edu:8001/weather/
  Surface analysis for US, plus forecasts

3. Current weather and forecasts (text)

A. Weather Undergrounds (US/Canada fcsts, global reports, ski conds, severe wx)
B. Other North American forecasts
C. Forecasts elsewhere

a. Weather Undergrounds (US/Canada fcsts, global reports, ski conds, severe wx)

gopher://downwind.sprl.umich.edu/11/Weather_Text
telnet://downwind.sprl.umich.edu:3000/
telnet://hermes.merit.edu/
telnet://measun.nrrc.ncsu.edu:3000/
telnet://vortex.weather.brockport.edu:3000/
telnet://wind.atmos.uah.edu:3000/

b. Other North American forecasts

ftp://ats.orst.edu/pub/weather/
  Some US city and Oregon weather forecasts
ftp://ncardata.ucar.edu/pub/weather/
  Colorado weather forecasts
telnet://duat2.wtp.gtefsd.com
  Aviation weather
telnet://nevado.srcc.lsu.edu
  Observations and forecasts for US
gopher://apollo.lsc.vsc.edu:70/
  Forecasts and summaries for US as whole, N.E. US
gopher://ashpool.micro.umn.edu/11/Weather/
  Current weather and forecasts for US, Canada
gopher://gopherpc.abrfc.noaa.gov/
  River stage forecasts for Arkansas-Red River Basin (central US)
gopher://mcidas.uncc.edu/
  Many National Weather Service products for Southeast US
gopher://metlab1.met.fsu.edu/11/weather
  Florida weather and forecasts
gopher://nevado.srcc.lsu.edu/
  Observations and forecasts for south central US states
gopher://owl.nstn.ns.ca/
  Canadian forecasts
gopher://vortex.weather.brockport.edu/
  Current weather at SUNY brockport, US forecasts
gopher://wx.atmos.uiuc.edu:70/
  Current weather and forecasts for US, Canada, Caribbean
http://rs560.cl.msu.edu/weather/
  Current weather and forecast for Lansing, MI
http://www.mit.edu:8001/weather/
  Current weather and forecasts for US cities

c. Forecasts elsewhere

telnet://vicbeta.vic.bom.gov.au:55555/
  Australian weather observations and forecasts
gopher://babel.ho.bom.gov.au/11/Australian%20Weather%20Information
  Australian weather summaries, forecasts, warnings
gopher://gopher.ncc.go.jp:70/11/INFO/weather/
  Japan weather forecasts (in Kanji)
gopher://tortel.dcc.uchile.cl:70/
  Chilean weather forecasts (in Spanish)
http://www.met.fu-berlin.de/deutsch/meldungen.html
  Berlin weather (in German)

4. Special event information (may be transient)

A. Still images
B. Movies
C. Text

a. Still images

ftp://unidata.ucar.edu/images/
  Images of hurricanes Emily, Hugo, Beryl, Kevin
ftp://ats.orst.edu/pub/weather/
  Hurricane Andrew and Emily images
ftp://ftp.colorado.edu/pub/weather-images/hurricane.andrew
  Hurricane Andrew images and weather maps
ftp://ftp.colorado.edu/pub/weather-images/hurricane.emily
  Hurricane Emily images and weather maps
ftp://ftp.met.fsu.edu/pub/hurricane_Andrew
  Hurricane Andrew images
ftp://snow.nohrsc.nws.gov/
  "Blizzard of 93", midwest flood, Malibu fires smoke plume jpeg images 
ftp://climate.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/gumley/
  Midwest flood images
ftp://satftp.soest.hawaii.edu/pub/spectactular
  Hurricane Fernanda images
gopher://downwind.sprl.umich.edu/11/Weather_Archives/
  Blizzard of 93, hurricanes Andrew, Hugo, Emily, Elena;  tornado paths
gopher://wx.atmos.uiuc.edu:70/11/Images/Hurricane%20Emily/
  Hurricane Emily track (gif and ps) and image
gopher://unidata.ucar.edu:70/11/Images/
  Images of hurricanes Emily, Hugo, Beryl, Kevin
http://www.acm.uiuc.edu/weather.html
  California fires, hurricane Emily track 

b. Movies

ftp://earthsun.umd.edu/JEI/GOES
  "Blizzard of 93" movie in .flc format
ftp://sumex-aim.stanford.edu/pub/info-mac/art/qt/
  Quicktime (for Macintosh) movie of "Blizzard of 93"
http://www.acm.uiuc.edu/weather.html
  Hurricane Emily movies (mpg)

c. Text

ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/DMSP/SERVICES/WEEKLY/TCYCLONE
  Tropical Cyclone Weekly summary
ftp://nic.fb4.noaa.gov/pub/cac
  CAC ENSO advisories and indices, monthly mean and anomaly fields
gopher://cmits02.dow.on.doe.ca/11/climate/nino/
  CAC ENSO advisories and indices (CMAF climate monitoring)
www://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/dmsp/weekly.html
  Tropical Cyclone Weekly summary

5. Other images

ftp://explorer.arc.nasa.gov/SPACE/CDROM/
  Various earth-from-space images
ftp://explorer.arc.nasa.gov/pub/cdrom/
  Viking, Magellan, Voyager images from CD-ROMs
ftp://snow.nohrsc.nws.gov/
  Snow cover maps of US derived from GOES and AVHRR
ftp://sseop.jsc.nasa.gov/
  Pictures taken from the space shuttle in bitmap format
gopher://downwind.sprl.umich.edu/11/Weather_Archives/Clouds/
  Images of Whole earth, various types of clouds
telnet://sanddunes.scd.ucar.edu/
  AVHRR images of USA

6. Map data

ftp://csn.org/COGS/
  Mapping software and datasets
ftp://ncardata.ucar.edu/
  Elevation data
ftp://spectrum.xerox.com/pub/map/
  Various USGS data 
gopher://ageninfo.tamu.edu/11/apl-us
  Shaded relief map of USA generated from ETOPO5 dataset
http://ageninfo.tamu.edu/apl-us/
  Shaded relief map of USA generated from ETOPO5 dataset
http://www.ucar.edu/metapage.html
  Elevation data (choose "Research data" and then look at geophysical data)

7. Research data and metadata

a) Primary data centers 
b) Other sites

a. Primary data centers

ftp://cdiac.esd.ornl.gov/pub 
  Data and information from the Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center
ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/
  NGDC datasets, CD-ROM information
ftp://hurricane.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/upload/inventories/
  Info on datasets available from NCDC
ftp://ncardata.ucar.edu/ 
  Info on datasets available from NCAR, some small datasets directly available
ftp://nssdca.gsfc.nasa.gov/
  Info on NSSDC datasets and global change data
telnet://eosdis.larc.nasa.gov
  Info on datasets available from EOSDIS (login "ims", password "larcims")
telnet://esdim1.nodc.noaa.gov
  Info on datasets, satellites, sensors (login "NOAADIR")
telnet://glis.cr.usgs.gov
  Info on datasets available from USGS
telnet://hurricane.ncdc.noaa.gov
  Info on datasets available from NCDC (login "storm", password "research")
telnet://nssdca.gsfc.nasa.gov
  Info on NSSDC datasets, and Global Change Master Directory (login "NSSDC")
gopher://gopher.ngdc.noaa.gov/
  NGDC datasets, CD-ROM information
gopher://esdim2.nodc.noaa.gov/
  Connections to various government agencies:  NOAA, NIST, EPA, DOE, etc.
wais://ridgisd.er.usgs.gov
  DOE_Climate_Data.src: Contains info about climate data sets
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/ngdc.html
  National Geophysical Data Center (NGDC), info about datasets
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/dmsp/dmsp.html
  Info about, and sample data from Defense Meteorological Satellite Program 
http://www.ucar.edu/metapage.html
  National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR), info and small datasets
http://info.er.usgs.gov/
  United States Geological Survey (USGS)
http://noaacdc.colorado.edu/cdc/cdc_home.html
  Info on data available from NOAA's Climate Diagnostics Center
http://starhawk.jpl.nasa.gov/pds_home.html
  Info and data from NASA planetary missions and experiments

b. Other sites

ftp://aprf.arl.army.mil/pub/profiles/
  Real-time wind and temperature profiles from White Sands, NM, USA
ftp://ccg.cmdl.erl.gov/pub/
  Carbon dioxide and methane observations from cooperative network
ftp://cmits02.dow.on.doe.ca/climate/nino/
  CAC ENSO advisories and indices
ftp://hurricane.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/upload/blizzard
  Data from East coast blizzard
ftp://jwocky.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/nimbus7
  Nimbus-7 TOMS ozone data (not publication quality)
ftp://jwocky.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/meteor3
  Meteor-3 TOMS ozone data (not publication quality)
ftp://atlantic.ocean.fsu.edu/pub/
  East coast tidal heights and winds
ftp://downdry.atmos.colostate.edu/
  Atlantic basin tropical cyclone track data
ftp://nasagiss.giss.nasa.gov/
  Cloud, SST, surface T, vegetation data 
ftp://nic.fb4.noaa.gov/pub/cac
  CAC ENSO advisories and indices, monthly mean and anomaly fields
ftp://srv1rvares.er.usgs.gov/hcdn92/
  Streamflow data from USGS
telnet://kuda.atd.ucar.edu	
  Kuwait oil fire (1991) data from NCAR (login "kuda", password "science")
telnet://storm.ofps.ucar.edu
  STORM-FEST data, link to NCDC (login "storm", password "research")
gopher://cmits02.dow.on.doe.ca/11/climate/nino/
  CAC ENSO advisories and indices (CMAF climate monitoring)
gopher://diu.cms.udel.edu/
  Ocean Information Center -- info on WOCE, TOGA/COARE, other ocean data 
gopher://nx1.soils.umn.edu:70/
  U. Minnesota Soil Science Department/Climatology Working Group
http://diu.cms.udel.edu/
  Ocean Information Center -- info on WOCE, TOGA/COARE, other ocean data 
http://graupel.mit.edu/Radar_Lab.html
  Information about MIT radar lab, and data archive metadata
http://rainbow.ldgo.columbia.edu/
  Climate datasets, bibliographies, ENSO forecast
http://thunder.atms.purdue.edu:80/toga_atlas/
  Climatology of the TOGA-COARE and Adjacent Regions
wais://ridgisd.er.usgs.gov/
  NOAA_National_Environmental_Referral_Service.src

8. Software

ftp://acoustics.whoi.edu/public/Matlab/oceans
  Various oceanography-related Matlab stuff
ftp://archive.afit.af.mil/pub/space/
  NORAD (TLE) for NOAA sats, tide code
ftp://atlantic.ocean.fsu.edu/pub/Tides/
  Tide code (shareware) for IBM-PC compatible
ftp://climate.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/wiscombe/
  Mie code, discrete ordinate code, thermo code
ftp://cumulus.met.ed.ac.uk/calmet/
  Software for computer-aided learning (CALMET)
ftp://ftp.erc.msstate.edu/pub/griblib.tar.Z
  GRIB decode in C
ftp://ftp.met.fsu.edu/
  Data analysis software
ftp://ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu/
  Code and format description for HDF
ftp://ftpnssl.nssl.uoknor.edu/pub/skaggs
  Humidity-wind chill-heat index program, sunrise calculation program
ftp://hydro.princeton.edu/stamm/energy.budget/
  Software for insolation, energy budget
ftp://ncardata.ucar.edu/datasets/ds111.2/software
  GRIB decode in Fortran
gopher://downwind.sprl.umich.edu/
  Air pollution model software, other?

9) Pointers to other resources 

ftp://csn.org/COGS/internet.resources.earth.sci
  Information on other Internet resources
ftp://ftp.met.fsu.edu/docs/
  Internet resource info
gopher://downwind.sprl.umich.edu/
  Resources for curriculum materials
http://hypatia.gsfc.nasa.gov/NASA_homepage.html
  NASA system-wide WWW server (choose LARC server for more resources)
http://info.er.usgs.gov/network/index.html
  Hypertext network resources for science (assembled by USGS)
http://life.anu.edu.au:80/weather.html
  Various images & forecasts for Australia, world;  also other resources
http://sci-ed.fit.edu/wx.html
  Pointers to many of these meteorological data sources
http://www.atmos.uiuc.edu/
  A variety of resources for the atmospheric science community
http://www.met.fu-berlin.de/DataSources/MetIndex.html
  Pointers to many of these meteorological data sources 
http://www.mth.uea.ac.uk/climateinfo.html
  Pointers to oceanography, meteorological, general physical science resources
http://zia.geog.buffalo.edu/GIAL/netgeog.html
  Hypertext resource information, mostly for geography

Subject:  List of sites

This section provides expanded listings of the sites in the previous
section.  Remember to set the transfer type to "binary" when retrieving
images!  

acoustics.whoi.edu					(FTP)
  Rich Pawlowicz's Matlab oceanography toolbox.  Includes equations
for physical properties of seawater, some geographical functions,
and plotting routines.  For use with Matlab 4.1. ([email-masked])

ageninfo.tamu.edu					(Gopher, WWW)
  Dept. of Agricultural Engineering, Texas A&M University server.
Contains Digital Relief Map of USA based on ETOPO5, and other resources.

ames.arc.nasa.gov	[128.102.18.3]			(FTP)
  The SPACE directory has been moved to explorer.arc.nasa.gov.

apollo.lsc.vsc.edu 70					(Gopher)
(LYNDON STATE COLLEGE, VT/Department of Meteorology)
  Text products and McIdas weather images, including surface plots of the 
Northeast, meteograms and skew-T plots of ALB, PWM, and BTV, US satellite 
imagery, NGM forecast data, upper-air plots, and more.

aprf.arl.army.mil	[155.148.12.200]		(FTP)
  Real-time, hour-averaged, qc'd, surface to stratosphere profiles of wind, 
temperature, and optical/radar turbulence from the Atmospheric Profiler 
Research Facility, White Sands, New Mexico.  Change directory to 
"/pub/profiler".  Data is available in tabular format in the subdirectory
"hourly-profiles" and in graphical format in the subdirectory  
"hourly-profiles/images".  For further information, see the README, or 
e-mail to: [email-masked] or [email-masked].

archive.afit.af.mil					(FTP)
  NORAD "Two-line Element"(TLE) data for the NOAA satellites series
in directory "pub/space".  Also, TIDES216.zip tide calc shareware.

aristarchus.rutgers.edu					(WWW)
  US Weather map with radar.  (Currently doesn't appear to be active.)

ashpool.micro.umn.edu 					(Gopher)
(National Weather Service Forecasts)
  Weather forecasts by state.

atlantic.ocean.fsu.edu	[128.186.3.39]			(FTP)
  East coast tidal heights and winds in "pub/Tidedata", QuickBasic
IBM-PC shareware to compute tides and currents in "pub/Tides", Luyten 
& Stommel oceanographic atlas in "pub/LiveAtlas", and other related
items.  For information contact [email-masked].

athena.mit.edu						(AFS)
(/afs/sites/athena.mit.edu/project/weather)
  Contains images from wx.atmos.uiuc.edu in various subdirectories (SATELLITE, 
SURFACE, etc.).  The most recent images are flagged with the name 'latest' 
so you can easily find them.  There's also an animation program.  Contact 
[email-masked] for more info.

ats.orst.edu  		[128.193.120.19]		(FTP)
  GOES IR and VIS images over North and Central America, plus a "floater" 
image which "could be anything."  Also Oregon and US city forecasts.

babel.ho.bom.gov.au					(Gopher)
  Satellite images of Australia, and text weather forecasts and
warnings for all states and territories.  Includes connections to
other weather resources.

boa.gsfc.nasa.gov	[128.183.93.16]			(FTP)
  Same GMS images as explorer.arc.nasa.gov;  this site should be used by
East Coast and European sites.

ccg.cmdl.erl.gov					(FTP)
   NOAA/CMDL flask monitoring network for carbon dioxide (CO2) and 
methane (CH4) atmospheric concentrations.  Data is from many monitoring 
sites.  Also in-situ continuous CO2 data from CMDL observatories.
Change directory to /pub/co2 or /pub/ch4.

cdiac.esd.ornl.gov 	[128.219.24.36]  		(FTP)
  Contains data and information on general and technical aspects of 
carbon dioxide, methane, and other trace gas emissions; the carbon cycle; 
and other climate-change topics from CDIAC (the Carbon Dioxide Information 
Analysis Center, address in section 3).  The data for CDIAC's "Trends 91: 
A Compendium of Data on Global Change" is also available here.  (Contact 
CDIAC at [email-masked] to obtain a copy of the book.)

climate.gsfc.nasa.gov	[128.183.46.16]			(FTP)
 The directory "pub/wiscombe" contains various software of interest in
several subdirectories, including Mie code by Warren Wiscombe, discrete 
ordinates radiative transfer code, and atmospheric thermodynamics code.
  Also, cloud-free images of midwest flooding in directory "pub/gumley".

cmits02.dow.on.doe.ca	[142.97.22.42]			(Gopher, FTP)
(Ontario Climate Gopher)
  Atmospheric Environment Service (Canada) site containing CAC (Climate
Analysis Center) ENSO advisories updated monthly (between the 10th and
15th), and CAC ENSO indices in the directory "climate/nino".  Also
has (non-current) Canadian weather maps, satellite photos (mostly Ontario 
and eastern Canada), and forecasts (mostly Ontario);  hopefully, these
will be updated in the future.

csn.org			[128.138.213.21]		(FTP)
  Change directory to "COGS".  A large file containing detailed information 
on FTP sites, Bitnet and Usenet discussion groups, and data sources is 
located in the file "internet.resources.earth.sci".  This file contains 
more information on mapping, GIS, remote sensing, and geology, subjects 
which are mostly outside the scope of this meteorology-oriented FAQ.  Mapping 
software and datasets are also available in this directory.  Contact 
[email-masked] (Bill Thoen) for more information.

cspnsv.csp.it 5000					(Telnet)
  Include the "5000" when connecting to the machine.  This runs a program,
"METEO-WINDOW" on a Cray, with a remote graphics display on your machine.
The first time, you will be asked to send mail to [email-masked] with 
the numerical address of your graphics terminal (must be running X-windows).
METEO-WINDOW displays Meteosat satellite images and weather information
of general interest (in English) and of the Piedmont, Italy region (in
Italian).  For more information contact [email-masked].

cumulus.met.ed.ac.uk	[129.215.168.19]		(FTP)
  Change directory to "images".  IR and visible images of Europe from 
Meteosat, twice daily, in 1152 x 900 GIF format (size of Sun root window).  
Also Atlantic area and African images.  The subdirectory "gifs" has smaller 
3x daily images of the Nordic areas, the UK, and Europe.
  The directory "animations" contains movies in .fli and MPEG formats.
Software to uncompress "gzip" files is here too.  Info from 
[email-masked] (Gordon Watson)
  The directory "calmet" contains software and documents in support of
computer-aided learning in meteorology;  it is associated with the CALMET
mailing list described in section IV of this document.  The file
"intro_to_calmet" in the "documents" subdirectory describes how to find
what's available.

diu.cms.udel.edu	[128.175.24.6]			(WWW, Gopher)
  OCEANIC, the Ocean Information Center, contains information 
about data collected for both the World Ocean Circulation Experiment
(WOCE) and the Tropical Oceans and Global Atmosphere Coupled
Ocean-Atmosphere Response Experiment (TOGA COARE). In addition OCEANIC has a
searchable international research ship schedule database, a searchable
directory of names/addresses/e-mail of scientists involved in WOCE and
numerous links to WOCE data facilities and other oceanographic
information systems. This system is still in an evolutionary phase but
is for the most part fully functional. For more information, questions,
comments, etc. please e-mail [email-masked] or call
(302)645-4278.

downdry.atmos.colostate.edu	[129.82.107.154]	(FTP)
  Atlantic basin tropical cyclone best track data, 1886-1992.  Every 6 
hour intensity and position information.  README.atl is the documentation,  
tra86to92.atl is the data.  Provided by [email-masked]
(Chris Landsea).

downwind.sprl.umich.edu 3000	[141.212.196.177]	(Telnet, Gopher)
  Include the "3000" when connecting to the machine.  This is the University
of Michigan's Weather Underground, a menu driven system which has a large 
variety of information, including US and Canadian weather forecasts, ski 
conditions, earthquake reports, severe weather reports, and current weather 
conditions for some international cities.
  This machine is also accessible by gopher (omit the 3000 when connecting).
The same information is available, along with other educationally-oriented
information.

duat2.wtp.gtefsd.com	[131.131.7.106]			(Telnet)
  This service is intended for pilots.  You can log in as a guest by hitting
return when asked for your as your pilot certification number, and entering
N12345 when asked for your aircraft tail number.  Various weather products
are available including SA, UA, and severe weather info.  Hit '?' for help
whenever you are confused by a prompt.
  DUATS can also be accessed directly by 1-800-767-9989 at 9600 baud.

early-bird.think.com	[131.239.2.1]			(FTP)
  Mirror site for vmd.cso.uiuc.edu in pub/weather/maps.

earthsun.umd.edu	[132.178.15.9]			(FTP)
  Change directory to "/JEI/GOES".  48-hour sequence derived from
GOES IR images is in the file "storm.zip" which was compressed with
PKZIP 2.04.  It is a 640x480 .FLC file and thus requires either running the
sequence on a UNIX box or on a DOS machine with a SVGA card that is
moderately VESA compatible with 512K RAM.  PLAY79.EXE (for DOS) is 
available on the same site; xanim (for Unix) is available from 
cs.orst.edu (/pub/src/printers/xanim/xanim.tar.Z) and other sites.
(For more info contact Christopher Keane, [email-masked].)

eosdis.larc.nasa.gov		[192.107.191.17]	(Telnet)
  The Langley Distributed Active Archive Center (DAAC) archives and
distributes Radiation Budget, Cloud, Aerosol, and Tropospheric Chemistry 
Data to the general science community.  Data are available via FTP, tape 
and CD-ROM.  Users can use telnet to the DAAC IMS (Information Management 
System) to place an order.  The IMS features a graphical user interface, 
so you must have an X window or Sun OpenWindows display.  (You can contact 
DAAC by telephone or email as well -- see section III.)  
  Use 'ims' as the login and 'larcims' as the password.  For more 
information contact Sue Sorlie ([email-masked]).

esdim1.nodc.noaa.gov	[140.90.235.10]			(Telnet)
  Login as "NOAADIR".  Menu-driven system will let you select datasets
from various government sources according to search parameters, and will 
give you contact addresses and other information on them.  You can also
get information about satellites, sensors, and research experiments.

esdim2.nodc.noaa.gov					(Gopher)
  Appears to be a gopher connection to the same sort of thing as above;
allows connections to various government agency info (NASA, NOAA, NIST,
DOE, Dept. of Interior, EPA, USDA).

explorer.arc.nasa.gov		[128.102.32.18]		(FTP)
  Visible and IR hourly GMS-4 images in gif format (neat pictures, may be
enhanced), and in hdf format (raw, intended for research), in the directory
"pub/Weather/GMS-4".  Resolution is 5 km so images are 2-3 MB in size.
The hdf files have navigation information included.  The "pub/Weather/GOES-7"
directory contains half-hourly visible and IR GOES-7 images in gif and hdf 
formats; the IR data is 8 km resolution and the VIS is a very large 4 km 
resolution.  For more information contact [email-masked] 
(Milo S. Medin).
  The directory "cdrom" contains Viking, Magellan, and Voyager data, and
the directory "pub/SPACE" contains various earth-from-space images and
information. 
  This site is for users "near" California;  East Coast US and European
sites should connect instead to boa.gsfc.nasa.gov, and Australian sites
should use plaza.aarnet.edu.au.  (The GOES-7 data doesn't appear to be
on these sites yet.)

ftp.colorado.edu	[128.138.129.2]			(FTP)
  Change directory to "pub/weather-images".  Weather radar summary map 
GIFS and PICT files, surface maps, satellite images for several US cities 
and regions.  Also images and other stuff for Andrew in the subdirectory
"hurricane.andrew".

ftp.erc.msstate.edu					(FTP)
  GRIB decode in C in "pub/griblib.tar.Z".

ftp.jcu.edu.au 	[137.219.16.14]			(FTP)
  Change directory to "JCUMetSat". GMS-4 images updated regularly for 
various Australian states, Australia as a whole, the globe, the TOGA/COARE 
area, and events of interest such as cyclones. The images are in a format 
designed for the package JCUMetSat on Amiga computers, but can be converted 
to GIF format using the ALCHEMY software (shareware) available at this site.  
(More information on the format and images can be obtained from Professor 
C.J. Kikkert, [email-masked].)

ftp.met.fsu.edu		[128.186.5.56]			(FTP)
  This FTP site at Florida State University is mostly a repository for
public domain software and shareware that is useful to atmospheric
scientists.  There are also Hurricane Andrew images in the directory
"/pub/hurricane_Andrew".  The file "internet.tex" in the "docs" directory 
contains an article by Jon Ahlquist about Internet resources for atmospheric
scientists;  this was published in the March 1993 Bulletin of the AMS,
but the on-line version will be updated from time to time.  For more
information contact [email-masked]. 

ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu					(FTP)
  Code and software for HDF data format.

ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov	[192.149.148.109]		(FTP)
  Some publically accessible data and tools from NOAA's National 
Geophysical Data Center.  Also, information on NGDC CD-ROM products.
More information available from [email-masked]
  This information is also available by NGDC's Gopher and WWW servers.

ftp.sat.dundee.ac.uk    [134.36.22.15]                  (FTP, WWW)
Dundee University archive of NOAA AVHRR / HRPT images of Europe for the
last 15 years, with on-line access to lower resolution images (Quicklooks)
for the last six months, and a full resolution data service on request.
For information contact Alan Muir ([email-masked]).

ftp.uwp.edu		[131.210.1.4]			(FTP)
  Mirror site for vmd.cso.uiuc.edu in pub/wx.

ftpnssl.nssl.uoknor.edu					(FTP)
  Change directory to "/pub/skaggs".  Fortran program to calculate 
windchill and heat index based on NWS code, and to interconvert humidity
variables based on Smithsonian Meteorological Tables.  Also code to
calculate sunrise and sunset.  Questions to [email-masked].

glis.cr.usgs.gov	[152.61.192.54]			(Telnet)
  This is a menu driven system (Global Land Information System) which allows 
users to search a list of research datasets available from the EROS Data 
Center at USGS, and order data if desired.  Most of the data are ecosystem
maps and elevation/depth maps.

gopher.ciesin.org		[160.39.1.202]		(Gopher)
(CIESIN-NASA-EOS Global Change Information Network)
  This gopher server has some papers on global change (not many yet).
Under the "Environmental Internet Catalog" there are resources
under various useful topics, particularly under "Earth Science",
"Ecology and the Environment", and "Weather and Meteorology".
It allows gopher access to some of the FTP and telnet resources described 
in this document.  Comments should be sent to [email-masked].

gopher.ncc.go.jp 					(Gopher)
(National Cancer Center, Tokyo JAPAN)
  Select "Other-information" and then "weather".  This is a joint system
between the National Cancer Center and the Japanese Weather Association.
Files are updated every 3 hours.

gopher.ngdc.noaa.gov	[192.149.148.109]		(Gopher)
(National Geophysical Data Center)
  Some publically accessible data and tools from NOAA's National 
Geophysical Data Center.  Also, information on NGDC CD-ROM products.
Connections to other data services, NOAA environmental gopher, other
gateways.  (This service is still under developement.) More information 
available from [email-masked].

gopher.ssec.wisc.edu 					(Gopher)
(Space Science and Engineering Center, U. of Wisconsin-Madison)
  This server currently offers near real-time daily browse GIF images 
from the GOES satellite and 8 Antarctic browse GIF images per day.  The
Antarctic browse (funded by NSF) is a composite of 5 geostationary 
and 2 polar satellites covering the area from 45 degrees south to
the South Pole.  General background information about McIDAS is also
available.  Some images from the new GOES-8 area also available.
For information contact Steve Rader ([email-masked])

gopherpc.abrfc.noaa.gov		[192.133.17.165]	(Gopher)
(Arkansas-Red River Forecast Center)  
  This server contains forecasts of river levels and flood stages for
the mainstem rivers in the Arkansas-Red River Basin area (AR, CO, OK,
LA, MO rivers).  

graupel.mit.edu						(WWW)
   MIT Weather Radar Laboratory information under Radar_Lab.html.

grizzly.uwyo.edu					(Gopher)
  Weather satellite images and forecast model output, meteorgrams and
some forecasts and observations for US states and regions.

hanauma.stanford.edu	[36.51.0.16]			(FTP)
  The CIA World Bank database contains coastlines, rivers and political 
boundaries.  An 0.5 degree elevation dataset is also there.  A program for 
decoding the CIA data can be found as "mfil" on pi1.arc.umn.edu 
[137.66.130.11]  (Info from [email-masked])
  NOTE this site no longer exists.  This information *may* be moved
to oas.stanford.edu sometime in the future.  I'll try to keep an eye
on the situation.

hermes.merit.edu	[35.1.48.150]			(Telnet)
  Type um-weather at the "Which Host?" prompt and use menus. 
(Connects to downwind.sprl.umich.edu)

hurricane.ncdc.noaa.gov	[192.67.134.72]			(FTP, Telnet)
  Information on datasets available from NCDC (the National Climatic Data
Center) in "/pub/upload/inventories".  These are inventories of the contents
of various datasets.  If you find this information useful, please send
email to [email-masked], as NCDC wants to evaluate this service.
If you wish to order data after browsing this information, contact
their customer service department at 704-271-4800.
  This site is also reachable by telnet using "storm" as the login
and "research" as the password.
  Also available in the directory "/pub/upload/blizzard" is a file
"storm.txt" containing observations from the 1993 "Storm of the Century."

hydro.iis.u-tokyo.ac.jp					(FTP)
  Change directory to "data/noaa".  NOAA quick look images of the
area around Japan are recieved and processed by Takagi Laboratory in 
Institute of Industrial Science, University of Tokyo.  The images are 
in Portable GrayMap file format(PGM), which can be easily converted to 
other image formats using `pbmplus' utilities.  The mmddhhQL.pgm.Z files 
are images (mm=month, dd=day, hh=hour) of size 512x480.

hydro.princeton.edu					(FTP)
  Insolation calculation from Berger model and energy balance from
Pease model in directory "stamm/energy.budget".  Provided by John Stamm,
[email-masked].

jwocky.gsfc.nasa.gov					(FTP)
  Nimbus-7 and Meteor-3 daily gridded Total Ozone Mapping Spectrometer 
(TOMS) ozone data. Change directory to /pub/nimbus-7 or /pub/meteor3.
Read the README files in each directory and other text files...user is 
warned that the data are not archive quality and not suitable for 
publication. Data will eventually be archived with the GSFC DAAC.

kestrel.umd.edu		[129.2.110.31]			(FTP)
  Mirror site for vmd.cso.uiuc.edu in pub/wx.  Also archives gifs and 
programs (not messages) from the Wxsat mailing list (see part 3 of this
FAQ) in pub/wxsat.

kuda.atd.ucar.edu	[128.117.84.65]			(Telnet)
  Log in as "kuda" with "science" as the password.  This will put you 
into a database program which will allow you to select from many types
of atmospheric measurements and supporting data from the Persian Gulf 
region during the Kuwait oil well fires (1991).  Inventory includes
aircraft measurements of particulates, chemistry, radiation, and state 
parameters, surface-based meteorological, air quality, and radiation
measurements, model output grids, and digital satellite images from 
NOAA and DMSP polar orbiters.  
  For more information, contact [email-masked], or
Julie Haggerty at 303/497-1058.

liasun3.epfl.ch						(FTP)
  Change directory to "pub/weather".  IR and visible images of Europe
from Meteosat, in GIF format.  It appears that this site contains
the same images as cumulus.met.ed.ac.uk.

life.anu.edu.au 80					(WWW)
  Australian National University Bioinformatics server.  Connections to
many weather resources worldwide on their very nice Weather Page 
(weather.html).  Comments to [email-masked].

mcidas.uncc.edu						(Gopher)
  UNC/Charlotte Earth Science server.  MCIDAS images and many text
products from the NWS for the Southeast US, including forecasts,
climate summaries, air pollution, severe weather, precipitation.

measun.nrrc.ncsu.edu 3000				(Telnet)
  Include the "3000" when connecting to the machine.  This is a menu driven
system which has a large variety of information, including US and Canadian
weather forecasts, ski conditions, earthquake reports, severe weather
reports, and current weather conditions for some international cities.
(Weather Underground at NCSU, similar to UM service.)

meteor.atms.purdue.edu					(Gopher)
(Purdue University WXP Gopher)
  This gopher site includes satellite images, surface plots and analyses, 
upper air plots and analyses, soundings, radar, and plots of the results 
from various NMC forecast models.  A very nice feature of this gopher is 
the "plot summary" in each directory, which explains very clearly the 
meteorological usefulness and interpretation of the various plots.  
Questions and comments to [email-masked].

metlab1.met.fsu.edu					(Gopher)
  This gopher site includes satellite images, surface plots and analyses,
upper air analyses, soundings, and radar for the US (some Canadian plots),
and text forecasts for Florida.  The ftp site ftp.met.fsu.edu can
be accessed via this site.

nasagiss.giss.nasa.gov	[192.42.70.2]			(FTP)
  Various monthly mean data files, including ISCCP C2 cloud data, surface
temperature anomalies, grids of various variables used in the GCM II 
(General Circ. Model).  Also various maps of vegetation indices, cultivation
indices, wetland ecosystems.  The file "GISS.HELP" contains an index
to the contents of this FTP area.  Contact [email-masked]
for help or more information.  (Note:  you will be asked for a password --
just enter your email address.)

ncardata.ucar.edu	[128.117.8.111]			(FTP)
  Information on datasets available from NCAR (the National Center for 
Atmospheric Research), and a few small datasets.  If you would like to 
order data after browsing this information, email to [email-masked].  
Small datasets can be provided by FTP;  we also write various kinds of tapes.  
See the README file.
  The "pub/weather" subdirectory contains Colorado weather and (in season)
ski condition reports.
  A few special datasets are located in the FTP area, and are free.  They
are described in the file "pricing".  These include a 1 deg resolution
elevation dataset, a continental outline dataset, and a list of all WMO
stations with latitude, longitude, and elevation.
  This ftp area can also be accessed with a nifty hypertext interface via 
www.ucar.edu (WWW) by selecting "Research Data Archive".

nevado.srcc.lsu.edu					(Telnet, Gopher)
  The Southern Regional Climate Center operates a gopher and telnet 
site, with data mostly for the states of Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi,
Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Texas.  There is some other US data available
through the telnet site (login srcc).  

nic.fb4.noaa.gov					(FTP)
  Selected monthly mean and anomaly fields [from the Climate Diagnostic Data 
Base (CDDB)] are in the directory "/pub/cac/cddb";  tropical indices are in
the subdirectory "indice" within that directory.  Text for the Climate 
Diagnostics Bulletin and ENSO Advisory is available in the directory
"/pub/cac/nino".

noaacdc.colorado.edu					(WWW)
  The Climate Diagnostics Center (CDC), previously the Climate Research 
Division of the ERL Climate Monitoring and Diagnostics Laboratory (CMDL), 
conducts diagnostic studies of climate variability on time scales of months 
to centuries.  CDC climatological data is archived in netCDF format.
This site gives access to metadata (information about these datasets) which
can be searched by various keywords;  actual data must be ordered
from CAC by email or fill-in forms.

nssdca.gsfc.nasa.gov					(FTP or Telnet)
  Telnet:  The National Space Science Data Center (NSSDC) On-Line Data and 
Information Service (NODIS) is a menu-driven interactive system which provides
information on services and data supported by NSSDC.  Login as NSSDC.  Some
topics:  Nimbus-7 GRID TOMS Data, Geophysical Models, Standards and 
Technology Information System.
  NODIS also provides access to the Global Change Master Directory, a 
multidisciplinary on-line information system containing descriptions of 
Earth and space science data holdings available to the science community. 
These include data from NASA, NOAA, NCAR, USGS, DOE (CDIAC), EPA, NSF and 
other  U.S. and international agencies, universities, and research centers. 
  FTP: some information and actual data is also available via anonymous FTP.
For more information contact [email-masked].

nx1.soils.umn.edu	[128.101.77.165]		(Gopher)
(MN Climatology Working Group)
  This gopher directory contains lots of files with climate data for 
Minnesota.  Comments and questions to [email-masked].

owl.nstn.ns.ca						(Gopher)
  Canadian site for Canadian forecasts.

photo1.si.edu		[160.111.16.2]			(FTP)
  Change directory to "/More.Smithsonian.Stuff/nasm.planetarium" (case 
sensitive!).  The subdirectory "weather.gif" has 640 X 480 X 256 GIF89a 
format (some older files in GIF87a) images from NOAA and Meteor polar 
orbiting weather satellites, maybe others.  Images will remain here for 
a few weeks -- some of the more exceptional images will be placed in a 
longer-term archive under the subdirectory "/weather.archive".  
  Files will be named sssdddd*.gif where sss is the spacecraft (e.g. N11=
NOAA-11, M33=Meteor 3-3), dddd is the date, and * is a descriptor (see 
the readme information).  
  HRPT visible and IR images of the recent California fires are available
in the subdirectory "calif.disaster".  The f1----.gif series is the Laguna 
fire, f2----.gif series is the Malibu fire, and the f3----.gif series is 
the Northridge fire.
  For more information, contact [email-masked] (Geoff Chester).

plaza.aarnet.edu.au	[139.130.4.6]			(FTP)
  Same GMS images as explorer.arc.nasa.gov, in the "weather" directory;  
this site should be used by Pacific sites only.

quake.think.com 	[192.31.181.1]			(WAIS)
(Weather.src) Service: 210  Database: weather
  Currently you'll get the best results by asking this server for 'weather'.
The returned list of files should include this file, as well as the day's
satellite weather maps.  You might want to refine your search by including
"gif" if you'd rather get the maps, or "txt" if you want the textual
weather forecasts.  You can try by city name, too.  Comments to
[email-masked].

rainbow.ldgo.columbia.edu				(WWW)
  This is the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University's
Climate Group's server.  The "Data Library" contains various climatologies
for the ocean and atmosphere, and topographic data, along with a nice
interactive system for selection and display of data.

rainbow.physics.utoronto.ca				(FTP)
  NOAA-11/12 mosaic GIF images of North America derived from HRPT (High 
Resolution Picture Transmission) data stream.  Change directory
to "/pub/sat_images".  
  The images are 1280 x 1024 mosaics of successive passes of either
NOAA-11 or NOAA-12 and cover an area from 40 deg W to 130 deg W and from 
70 deg N to 20 deg N. At present, only images derived from Channel 4 are 
being posted. Four mosaics will be posted daily, named mmmdd_noaa##.TT.gif 
where ## is the satellite number (11 or 12) and TT is the time (am or pm).
Images will remain accessible for two days. 
  To assist in the interpretation of the images, coastlines, rivers and 
lakes have been superimposed.  The resolution of the images has been reduced 
to approximately 4 km, but full resolution images of particular areas
of interest may be available upon request.
  For information contact [email-masked] (Professor 
G.W.K. Moore). 

ridgisd.er.usgs.gov 	[130.11.48.107]			(WAIS)
(DOE_Climate_Data.src) 
Service: 210  Database: /usr/opt/wais/db/DOE_Climate_Data
(NOAA_National_Environmental_Referral_Service.src)
Service: 210  Database: /usr/opt/wais/db/nedres
  Contains information about various climate data sets.  The maintainer
is [email-masked].

sanddunes.scd.ucar.edu					(Telnet)
  AVHRR (Advanced Very High Resolution Radiometer) images from 1989 through
7 Jan 1992 cover CO, WY, KS, NE, and NM, as well as parts of AZ, UT, OK,
and TX.  Since 7 Jan 1992, coverage includes these plus CA, OR, NV, WA,
and MT, to 1000 km off Pacific coast.  Total coverage of US for 1989-present
will be available soon.  West coast data from 1980-1985 will be available
some time this year.
  Images are 1024 lines x 1024 elements before 7 Jan 1992, 2560 lines x
1024 elements after.  Images are 1 km resolution and 8-bit format.
  Contact Tim Kelley by email [email-masked] or telephone 
303/497-1221 for login, password, and manual.  Service is free to Internet 
users and is funded by NASA.

satftp.soest.hawaii.edu	[128.171.154.29]  		(FTP)
  Sea-Surface-Temperature data (near-real-time) in the directory
"pub/avhrr/images".  AVHRR images within the radius of reception of the
university's HRPT station, approximately 5 S to 45 N and 125 W to 165 E,
as well as other stations in the continental US.  The processed images are
available usually within 30 min. of NOAA-11 and NOAA-12 passages. GMS-4
images of the full GMS coverage area and over the TOGA-COARE area are 
available in /pub/GMS.  
  Data are available in TDF format, PostScript, and GIF format, labelled by
satellite name (n11/n12/g4) and time.  
  Also see "pub/spectactular" directory for images of Hurricane Fernanda.
This site concentrates on the generation of higher level products,
calibrated in scientific units and registered, that can be used for
time series analysis without having to deal with satellite geometries.
  More info available from [email-masked].

sci-ed.fit.edu						(WWW)
  Pointers to weather related sites in wx.html.

snow.nohrsc.nws.gov 	[192.46.108.1]  		(FTP)
  Various snow-related images in GIF format.  US snow cover map updated 
weekly.  JPEG of current AVHRR images.  This site will be operational
for the 1994 snow season from in December 1993 through June 1994.
  Also included are JPEG images of the east coast during the March 1993
blizzard, and of the midwest during the July 1993 flood.
  Contact [email-masked] (Tim Szeliga) for more info.

spectrum.xerox.com	[192.70.225.78]			(FTP)
  Various USGS data in subdirectories under the directory "pub/map".

srv1rvares.er.usgs.gov	[130.11.51.209]			(FTP)
  USGS streamflow data from the HCDN data set, 1874-1988 CD-ROM (see 
CD-ROM section) by Slack et al in the directory "hcdn92".  

sseop.jsc.nasa.gov	[146.154.11.34]			(FTP)
  Many pictures taken from the space shuttle.  Files are in a 512x512 
format as red, green, and blue bitmaps. Image files are binary format, 
and have .DAT as an extension. 

starhawk.jpl.nasa.gov					(WWW)
  Access to various http (WWW) and telnet catalogs of data from
past and present NASA planetary missions, astronomical observations, 
and laboratory measurements.

storm.ofps.ucar.edu	[128.117.90.53]			(Telnet)
  Hourly and 5-minute composite surface observations, and composite 
rawinsonde soundings, from STORM-FEST.  Log in as "storm" with 
the password "research" to access a menu-driven system which will allow
you to search for the data you want.  You can also connect to the
NCDC site hurricane.ncdc.noaa.gov through these menus.
(Contact Mark Bradford, [email-masked] if you have questions.)

sumex-aim.stanford.edu					(FTP)
  Quicktime (for Macintosh) movie of "Blizzard of 93" in the file
/pub/info-mac/art/qt/blizzard-of-93.hqx.  (Binhexed file.)

thunder.atms.purdue.edu					(WWW)
(Purdue University WXP Web site)
  This site includes satellite images, surface plots and analyses, 
upper air plots and analyses, soundings, radar, and plots of the results 
from various NMC forecast models.  The text on each page explains very 
clearly the meteorological usefulness and interpretation of the various 
plots.  Questions and comments to [email-masked].

tortel.dcc.uchile.cl	[146.83.4.40]			(Gopher, Telnet)
(Universidad de Chile)
  Weather forecasts for Chile, in Spanish.  Choose the menu items "Servicios 
Miscelaneos", then "Pronosticos Meteorologicos", and then "Informe Diario 
Direccion Meteorologica de Chile".  For telnet access, log in as "gopher" 
(no password) and continue as above.

unidata.ucar.edu	[128.117.140.3]			(Gopher, FTP)
  FTP:  Change directory to "images". Weather radar summary map GIFS, 
surface maps for various places, a few soundings on skew-t log-p diagrams, 
GOES Hugo images (in subdirectory "images/hugo").  Surface maps include 
Europe and China.

uriacc.uri.edu		[131.128.1.1]			(FTP)
  Change directory to "davet.195".  Images of the northeast US in GIF format 
from the afternoon passes of NOAA-11.  (Provided by Dave Tetreault, 
[email-masked].)

vicbeta.vic.bom.gov.au 55555	[134.178.130.2]		(Telnet)
  Include the 55555 when connecting to the machine.  Australian weather 
observations and forecasts via a menu-driven system.

vmd.cso.uiuc.edu 	[128.174.5.98]			(FTP)
  Information on WX-TALK and other mailing lists, companies that hire
meteorologists, radio frequencies used to broadcast hurricane information,
satellite reception, and other subjects.  The images which used to be
here are no longer here, but are available at other sites (see topic
index).

vortex.weather.brockport.edu 3000			(Telnet, gopher)
  Another weather underground.  Other information available by gopher
to the same site (omit the 3000).

wais.cic.net		[192.131.22.3]			(WAIS)
(midwest-weather.src) Service: 210  Database:  midwest-weather
  National Weather Service forecasts for midwest U.S. states, updated 
hourly from the `gopher' weather server at the U of Minnesota by [email-masked].

web.nexor.co.uk						(WWW)
  Links to various European satellite photos (/places/satelite.html).

westsat.com		[192.215.1.50]			(FTP)
  Full-disk GOES images in GIF format.  Current pictures are in the 
directory "pub/images";  older pictures and more information are in 
"pub/west".  Contact [email-masked] (Steve Eigsti) for info.
  Some of these images are now appearing in the new newsgroup
biz.pagesat.weather.

wilbur.stanford.edu	[36.14.0.30]			(FTP)
  Change directory to "pub/weathergifs".  IR and visible images of Europe
from Meteosat, in GIF format.  It appears that this site contains
the same images as cumulus.met.ed.ac.uk.  Also has satellite images of
US.

wind.atmos.uah.edu 3000	[146.229.8.2]			(Telnet)
  Include the 3000 when connecting to the machine.  This is the University
of Alabama at Huntsville's Weather Underground, a menu-driven system
which has forecasts, climate data, and current observations for US cities, 
severe (US) weather, ski reports, and a "heating and cooling degree database".
This Weather Underground also includes WXP so that X-windows users can
have available weather maps displayed on their terminals.  Comments
and suggestions to [email-masked].

wmaps.aoc.nrao.edu	[146.88.1.103]			(FTP)
  Mirror site for vmd.cso.uiuc.edu in pub/wx.

wuarchive.wustl.edu	[128.252.135.4]			(FTP)
  Mirror site for vmd.cso.uiuc.edu in multimedia/images/wx.

www.acm.uiuc.edu					(WWW)
  Rob's Multimedia Lab has a weather page at weather.html.  Movies of 
hurricane Emily, California fires images, local (mid-Atlantic) weather 
from other sites.

www.atmos.uiuc.edu					(WWW)
  The Daily Planet from the University of Illinois.  Contains links
to the U of I Weather Machine (gopher) as well as direct links to
many of the same images: satellite images, surface and upper air,
forecast model output, etc.  This server also includes a very nice
and comprehensive collection of MPEG movies based on the still images.  
They are updated hourly and they cover various time durations of up 
to over two days.  
  Other available information includes a collection of lists of other 
weather servers and sources of weather data, atmospheric sciences community 
info, local information about the U of I atmospheric sciences department, 
and some online hypermedia instructional modules for atmospheric sciences. 
  The administrative contact e-mail address for the server is: 
[email-masked]

www.met.fu-berlin.de					(WWW)
  Free University of Berlin Institute for Meteorology.  Information is
available in German or English.  Includes local current weather, 
latest Meteosat photo, list of upcoming conferences, neatly-formatted
and organized list of these weather resources.

www.ngdc.noaa.gov	[192.149.148.109]		(WWW, Gopher, FTP)
  This site serves information about NOAA's National Geophysical Data 
Center. There are links to many NOAA data archives, including
the Defense Meteorological Satellite Program (DMSP), Solar-Terrestrial Data 
from the World Data Center exchange program, Marine Geological & Geophysical 
Data, Solid Earth Geophysical Data, and Paleoclimatology Data.
This site can also be accessed using Gopher or FTP.

www.sat.dundee.ac.uk see ftp.sat.dundee.ac.uk

www.ucar.edu						(WWW)
  National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) http server (start at
metapage.html).  Select "Research Data Archive" to access the data archive;
also contains other information about NCAR.  Questions should be
sent to [email-masked].

www.mit.edu 8001					(WWW)
  Neat map interface to (text) weather reports and forecasts.   Map shows
current conditions.  Appears to be western US only.

wx.atmos.uiuc.edu	[128.174.80.10]			(Gopher)
(UofI Weather Machine)
  Forecasts, images, surface and upper-air weather, local (Illinois) weather, 
and various useful documents, including GRIB and ON84 format descriptions, 
station lists, graphics information, etc. Questions, comments, and requests 
for changes should be sent to [email-masked].

wx.research.att.com	[192.20.225.3]			(FTP)
  Mirror site for vmd.cso.uiuc.edu in wx directory.

---------------
Subject:  How to use the data retrieval methods

  This section only describes FTP and telnet in any detail;  for other
methods, FTP sites are given, so you can get information on them yourself.

1) How to use FTP
2) How to use telnet
3) Gopher information
4) Wais information
5) WWW information

1. How to use FTP

FTP (File Transfer Protocol) allows transfer of files between two computers
which are on the Internet.  To access the FTP areas listed here, at your
system prompt type "ftp" followed by the name of the desired system.  For 
example, to access ncardata.ucar.edu you'd type

	ftp ncardata.ucar.edu

Use "anonymous" as your login and your email address as the password (if
requested).

[Note: quotes ("like this") are used to set off names of directories and
files, or commands you'd type, and are not part of these names.]

Not all FTP systems accept the same commands, but here's a list of the
most useful:

	ls      list files in the current directory.
	cd      change directory, e.g. "cd wx" changes to the wx directory.
	binary  sets binary mode
	ascii   sets ascii mode (the default).  Use for retrieving text.
	get     retrieves a file, e.g. "get readme" gets a file called readme.
	bye     exits FTP.

If you can't seem to connect to the site, check to see if it is a telnet
site.  If it is, follow the instructions in the following section instead.

If you can't FTP from your site, use one of the following ftp-by-mail servers:

	[email-masked]          
	[email-masked]
	[email-masked]           
	[email-masked]

Send an e-mail message to the closest address, with the lines:

	reply [email-masked]     <- with your email address
	connect ncardata.ucar.edu         <- for example
	cd datasets/ds111.2/software
	get access_sun.f
	quit

For complete instructions, send a one-line message reading "help" to the
server.  Please don't ask me for help!

2. How to use telnet

Type "telnet" followed by the name or IP number of the desired system.  These
publicly accessible systems generally allow you to log in but put you in
a restricted shell, from which only a certain menu of commands is available.
The description for the site will include the login to use.

If you can't seem to connect to the site, re-check its description in the
document; if it's an FTP site, follow the instructions in the previous 
section instead.

3. Gopher information

Available by ftp at ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/news.answers/gopher-faq.

4. Wais information

Available by ftp at 
ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/news.answers/wais-faq/getting-started.

5. WWW information

Available by ftp at ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/news.answers/www/faq.
WWW is so easy to use that you might as well just hop in and try it, so 
ask your sysadmin if you have a WWW browser such as NCSA Mosaic.