Subject: Meteorology Resources FAQ
From: [email-masked] (Ilana Stern)
Date: 10 May 1994 11:00:31 GMT
Newsgroups: sci.geo.meteorology,news.answers,sci.answers

Archive-name: weather/resources
Last-modified: 4 May 1994

Recent changes:

  ==within last two weeks==
Changed name of this FAQ to "Meteorology Resources" 
Combined this FAQ with  Bob Grumbine's FAQ on non-net resources

  ==within last four weeks==
Added mailing list for DMSP (Defense Meteorological Satellite Program) info
Changed "Introduction" section to "Overview" to fit better with html version

This is a guide to resources for laypersons, students and professionals in
meteorology, oceanography, and related disciplines. 

 1)  Overview
 2)  How to get a current copy of this document
 3)  Weather-related mailing lists
 4)  Newsgroups
 5)  Books readable by English-reading nonprofessionals
 6)  Books readable by French-reading nonprofessionals
 7)  Magazines readable by nonprofessionals
 8)  Scientific Texts
 9)  Meteorological History
10)  Journals
11)  Professional Societies

Each (major) section has a "Subject:" line, so you can search on the
subject title above to find the section quickly.

---------------
Subject:  Overview

This is a list of resources for people wishing to discuss or learn about 
meteorology, climatology, oceanography, and related disciplines.

This article is copyright (c) 1993, 1994 by Ilana Stern and Robert Grumbine.  
It may be freely distributed for non-commercial purposes only, provided 
that this copyright notice and the instructions on retrieving a current 
copy are not removed.  The information in this article is provided as-is, 
with no warranties or assurances as to its accuracy.  I prefer that archives
maintain current copies, since this information changes rapidly.  If
you would like to put this article in an archive and want to receive
a new copy automatically at every update, please send me email.  

Corrections, additions, and comments should be sent to Ilana Stern at
[email-masked].  Please include in your message where you read
this document.  Note that if I know about it, it's in this document.

---------------
Subject:  How to get a current copy of this document

If you are reading this document after 24 May 1994, you are reading an 
outdated copy. A current copy can be obtained by anonymous FTP to 
rtfm.mit.edu, from the file weather/groups in the directory 
/pub/usenet/news.answers.  These files are updated every two weeks, 
when a new copy is posted to sci.geo.meteorology, news.answers,
and sci.answers.  

If you can't use FTP, send email to [email-masked] with 
send /pub/usenet/news.answers/weather/resources
as the only text in the message (leave the subject blank).

---------------
Subject: Weather-related mailing lists

1) CLIMLIST:  conferences, data availability in climatology
2) Weather-users:  discussions of weather servers
3) WX-TALK:  general and specialized weather-related discussions
4) Wxsat:  redistribution of bulletins on weather satellites
5) CALMET:  discussion of computer-aided learning in meteorology
6) Met-stud:  meteorology students' mailing list
7) Volcano mailing list
8) Climat:  discussion of CLIMAT station data
9) HHNet:  for researchers working in hydrology
10) DMSPINFO:  DMSP data, information, and archive discussion

1. CLIMLIST (moderated by John Arnfield)

  CLIMLIST is a moderated electronic mail distribution list for climat-
ologists and those working in closely-related fields.  It is used to
disseminate notices regarding conferences and workshops, data avail-
ability, calls for papers, positions available etc, as well as requests
for information.  An updated directory of email addresses for the 
subscribers to the list is distributed every month (usually on the 15th).
  To subscribe, mail to whichever of these addresses works for you:
  [email-masked] / [email-masked] / [email-masked]
with the following information:
  Your name; your email address; your departmental & institutional 
affiliation; whether your email address is shared or personal; your area 
of interest or responsibility within climatology.

2. Weather-users (administered by [email-masked])

  This list is for discussions of weather servers; sharing of code to 
automatically query weather servers; and announcements of availability 
(or lack thereof) and changes to weather servers.  Initially, Jeff Masters 
([email-masked]) has agreed to send Weather Underground status 
notices to this list.
To join or quit the list, email to [email-masked];
the list mail address is [email-masked].

3. WX-TALK and other WX-lists

  WX-TALK, formerly STORM-L, is a mailing list for weather-related topics, 
special event notifications, job announcements, and administrative
messages.  This list, and other specialized weather-related lists, are
run from the vmd.cso.uiuc.edu (UIUCVMD) machine at Urbana-Champaign, 
Illinois. WX-TALK is for discussions and questions; the others are intended
to distribute information on particular topics, but you should not 
post mail to them.
  To join the list, send a message consisting of the single line
SUB WX-TALK Your Name
to whichever of these addresses works for you:
  LISTSERV@UIUCVMD / [email-masked] / [email-masked]
or uiucuxc!vmd!listserv from uucp.
Contributions should then go to WX-TALK@[working address]
  For more information, and a list of the other WX-lists on vmd.cso.uiuc.edu, 
use anonymous FTP to retrieve the file WX-TALK.DOC from vmd.cso.uiuc.edu 
in the directory "wx".

4. Wxsat (administered by Richard B. Emerson)

  Wxsat resends all NOAA/NESDIS bulletins on polar and geostationary weather 
satellites as well as occasional material on Meteosat.  Bulletins with 
orbital predictions, spacecraft operation schedules, and related messages 
are copied from NOAA.SAT on SCIENCEnet and forwarded to all addresses on 
the list.  The list is configured to accept and broadcast mail from
subscribers to the list at large.  Wxsat does not store or distribute imagery
and is not primarily a "chat" list.  Wxsat is oriented towards users with a
daily operational need for TBUS and related bulletins.
  An archive of roughly 60 days' messages are available for retrieval via
email messages to [email-masked].  Send the message "help" in the
text to the archive server for details on how to retrieve the current index
and other files.  There is also an archive for programs and gifs at
ftp://kestrel.umd.edu/pub/wxsat/.
  Subscription requests go to [email-masked].  The service is free 
to all Internet users but donations are accepted as this is a volunteer 
operation.

5. CALMET (Computer Aided Learning in Meteorology)

  CALMET is a mailing list dedicated to computer-aided learning in
meteorology.  It is associated with the ftp site cumulus.met.ed.ac.uk.
  To join the list, send mail to [email-masked].  Messages
to the list go to [email-masked].

6. Met-stud (administered by Dennis Schulze)

  This mailing list is open to all, but particularly intended as a 
communications facility among meteorology students worldwide.  Subjects
of discussion could include scholarships, summer schools, conferences,
and comparisons of the meteorology programs at various universities.
Meteorological problems and questions could also be discussed.
  Subscription requests and other administrative mail should be sent
to [email-masked].  Messages to the mailing list go to
[email-masked].  Although the list is based in Germany, 
the language used is English.

7. Volcano mailing list (edited by Jon Fink)

  Send submissions and subscription requests to Jon Fink at 
[email-masked], or aijhf@ASUACAD (via Bitnet).

8. Climat 

  CLIMAT data are the monthly means produced by the country
in which the station is located.  CLIMAT station data are exchanged
over the Global Telecommunications System (GTS) shortly after the
end of the month.  This mailing list is for users of CLIMAT data to
post error messages and other information.
  To subscribe to the CLIMAT data users list, send an email message to
[email-masked] with any subject line and the command
subscribe climat
in the body of the message.  Other commands are:
unsubscribe climate (to unsubscribe)
help (for help information)
  To post a message to all climat subscribers, send it to
[email-masked].
  Note that this mailing list is *not* a general discussion list about
climate, but is meant for discussion of the CLIMAT data product.

9. HHNet

  The goal of HHNet is to promote communication between scientists  
interested in hydrology.  It will generate a regular newsletter called 
the 'HHNet  Digest' for announcements and scientific queries of general 
interest, provide a central site for obtaining current e-mail addresses 
of those working in these areas, and diffuse information such as data, 
information on meetings and seminars, details of new books and journal
articles, and vacant faculty positions.
  Submissions for Hydro Digest: E-mail to  [email-masked]  
with "submit"  as  subject.
  Subscriptions for Hydro Digest: E-mail to [email-masked] with 
"subscribe" as subject.  To unsubscribe, e-mail with "unsubscribe" followed 
by your e-mail address as subject.

10.  DMSPINFO (administered by Greg Deuel, [email-masked])

     NGDC provides a mail list server to which those interested
in the products of the Defense Meteorological Satellite Program
may subscribe.  Once added to the list subscribers will be able to receive 
any notices posted by the DMSP archive and be able to write to and
receive information from the archive and other interested users.  It is 
intented to be a forum for interested parties to exhange information on DMSP 
data, applications and the archive.  To subscribe to DMSPINFO, mail
[email-masked] with the following message:

subscribe DMSPINFO <your name>

     For general info or help on the list server, mail
[email-masked] with the message "help".

---------------
Subject:  Newsgroups

1. sci.geo.meteorology
  General discussion of meteorology;  current and historic weather 
phenomena, hurricanes, ENSO, and so on.

2. sci.geo.fluids
  Discussion of geophysical fluid dynamics.

3. sci.data.formats
  Discussion of data formats used in the sciences, including meteorology.

4. sci.geo.geology
  General discussion of geology;  earthquakes, formations, and so on.

5. comp.infosystems.gis
  Discussion of Geographic Information Systems.

6. sci.nonlinear
  Discussion of chaos, nonlinear systems.

7. sci.environment
  Discussion of global warming, ozone depletion, anthropogenic effects,
social impacts, ecology, and so on.  In practice, barely distinguishable
from talk.environment.

8. sci.image.processing
  Discussion of image processing. 

9. talk.environment
  Ranting and raving about global warming, ozone depletion, anthropogenic 
effects, social impacts, ecology, and so on.

---------------
Subject: Books readable by English-reading nonprofessionals

  "Clouds in a Glass of Beer -- Simple Experiments in Atmospheric
    Physics" by Craig Bohren.  
  "What Light through Yonder Window Breaks", Craig Bohren.
  
  "How to Build a Habitable Planet", Wallace Broecker

  Microbursts: A Handbook for Visual Identification, Fernando Caracena et al.
(Second ed., Washinton: NOAA, 1990)
 
  Handbook of Unusual Natural Phenomena, William Corliss (The Sourcebook
Project, Glen Arm, MD, 1977) --  Collection of unusual weather
observations from popular and scientific press.  To be taken with a 
grain of salt.
 
  "Storms" by William R. Cotton.  

  "Rainbows, Halos, and Glories", Robert Greenler (Cambridge University
Press, 1980) -- atmospheric optics
 
  "Lightning and its Spectrum: An Atlas of Photographs", Leon Salanave (Tucson:
University of Arizona Press, 1980)
 
  "Peterson's Field Guide to the Atmosphere", (mostly) by Vincent
Shaeffer:  A readable guide to many aspects of modern meteorology, with
excellent qualitative coverage of many topics (optical effects,
particles, clouds, precipitation) Dozens of good color pics, too.
(Rick Russel, reviewer)

  "Volcano Weather: The Story of 1816, the Year without a Summer", Henry
Stommel and Elizabeth Stommel (Newport, RI: Seven Seas Press, 1983)
 
  "A View of the Sea", Henry Stommel, Princeton University Press, 1987.

  "All About Lightning", Martin A. Uman (New York: Dover, 1986)
 
  "Atmospheric Phenomena: Readings from Scientific American" (San Francisco:
WH Freeman, 1980)
 
  "NOAA/NWS Advanced Spotter's Field Guide" (NOAA PA 92055) -- A new and pretty
slick 28 p. pamphlet; many photos of tornadoes and sever thunderstorms.
(Frank Reddy, reviewer)
 
  "The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Weather" 

---------------
Subject: Books readable by French-reading nonprofessionals

   J.-C. Duplessy and P. Morel, "Gros Temps sur la Plan\`ete,
Odile Jacob, Paris, 1990

   C. Lorius, Glaces de l'Antarctique: une M\'emoire, des Passions,
Odile Jacob, Paris, 1990

---------------
Subject: Magazines readable by nonprofessionals

  La Recherche (sometimes)
  Scientific American (occasionally)  
  Weather
  Weatherwise

---------------
Subject: Scientific Texts

  Meteorology Today by Ahrens
  
  Ball Lightning and Bead Lightning: Extreme Forms of Atmospheric Electricity,
James Dale Barry (New York: Plenum, 1980)
 
  Tracers in the Sea, W. S. Broecker and T.-H Peng, Eldigio Press, Palisades, 
NY, 1982.

  T. J. Crowley and G. B. North, Paleoclimatology, Oxford University Press,
New York, 1991.

  The Ceaseless Wind - An Introduction to the Theory of Atmospheric
Motion John A. Dutton, Dover, 1976, 1986.

  M. Ghil and S. Childress, Topics in Geophysical Fluid Dynamics: 
Atmospheric Dynamics, Dynamo Theory and Climate Dynamics, 
New York,Springer-Verlag, 1987.
   
  Atmosphere-Ocean Dynamics by Adrian E. Gill, 1982.

  Atmospheric Change: an Earth System Perspective, T.E. Graedel and
P. J. Crutzen, Freeman, 1993. 
  An introductory undergraduate textbook requiring very little background
(freshman physics and chemistry; in fact most of the book is accessible
to someone who has had good high school courses.) Lower-level than your
other suggestions but very useful. Should be required reading for all
netters :). (Robert Parson, reviewer)

  Theory of rotating fluids, by H. Greenspan

  Climate 1992, James Houghton (Cambridge University Press, 1993)
 
  A climate modelling primer, A. Henderson-Sellers and K. McGuffie.
Chichester ; New York : Wiley, c1987.
	   
  An Introduction to Dynamic Meteorology, James R. Holton (Academic
Press, New York, 2nd edition 1979, 3rd edition 199?

  The Thunderstorm in Human Affairs, ed. by Edwin Kessler (3 vols.). Norman,
OK: University of Oklahoma Press, 1983
 
  Lindzen, R. S. "Dynamics in Atmospheric Physics" (Cambridge University
Press, 1990)  Application of simplified dynamics to the purpose of 
understanding some of the basic functioning of the atmosphere.  Includes 
discussion of Hadley circulation, gravity waves, tides, climate.  A 
collection of lecture notes, not a reference.  Doesn't include an appendix 
(on purpose!). (Perry G Ramsey -- reviewer)

  Boundary Layer Climates, Tim R. Oke (Methuen, 1978, 1987)

  Pedlosky, J. P. "Geophysical Fluid Dynamics" (Springer-Verlag, 1979, 1987)

  J. P. Peixoto and A. H. Oort, Physics of Climate, 
American Institute of Physics, New York, 1992"
(exists also in soft cover)

  Descriptive Physical Oceanography 4th ed, G. L. Pickard and W. J. Emery,
Pergamon Press, 1982.
	
  Introductory Dynamical Oceanography 2nd ed., S. Pond and G. L. Pickard, 
Pergamon Press, 1983.

  Atmospheric Science  an introductory survey  J. M. Wallace and P. V. 
Hobbs, Academic Press, 1977.
	
  An introduction to three-dimensional climate modeling, Warren M.
Washington, Claire L. Parkinson. -- Mill Valley, CA : University
Science Books ; Oxford, New York : Oxford University Press, 1986.
	   
  Chemistry of Atmospheres, Richard P. Wayne, 2nd Edition, Oxford 1991:
senior or 1st-year graduate level. The necessary atmospheric dynamics
and chemical kinetics are covered in chapters 2 and 3, but some background
in these subjects at sophomore or junior level is useful.
(Robert Parson, reviewer)

  The Lightning Discharge, Martin A. Uman (New York: Academic Press, 1987)
 
  Lightning, Martin A. Uman (New York: Dover, 1969)
 
  Weather and Climate Responses to Solar Variations (Boulder, CO: Colorado
Associated University Press, 1983)
 
  Solar Variability, Weather, and Climate (Washington, D.C.: National Academy
Press, 1982)
 
  Trends '91: A Compendium of Data on Global Change (Carbon Dioxide
Information Analysis Center, Oak Ridge National Laboratory -- see the
Data FAQ for address). The book and data -- available on disk or via ftp
 -- are free. Trends '93 due out later this year. (Frank Reddy, reviewer)
 
---------------
Subject: Meteorological History
 
  The History of Meteorology: To 1800, H. Howard Frisinger (Boston:
American Meteorological Society, 1983)
 
  A History of the Theories of Rain, W. E. Knowles Middleton (New York:
Franklin Watts, 1965)
 
  A History of the Thermometer, W. E. Knowles Middleton (Baltimore: Johns
Hopkins Press, 1966)

---------------
Subject: Journals 

  Annales Geophysicae
  Annals of Glaciology
  Atmospheric Environment
  Atmosphere-Ocean
  Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society
  Climate Change
  Climate Dynamics
  Deep Sea Research
  Dynamics of Atmospheres and Oceans
  Earth and Planetary Science Letters
  EOS
  Geophysical Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society
  Geophysical Research Letters
  Global Biogeochemical Cycles
  Int. J. Climatology
  J. Applied Meteorology
  J. Atmospheric Science
  J. Climate
  J. of Fluid Mechanics
  J. of Geophysical and Astrophysical Fluid Dynamics
  J. Geophysical Research
  J. Glaciology
  J. Marine Research
  J. Oceanic and Atmospheric Technology
  J. Physical Oceanography
  J. of the Meteorological Society of Japan
  Marine Geology
  Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics
  Monthly Weather Review
  Nature 
  Ocealologica Acta
  Paleoceanography
  Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology
  Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
  Quaternary International
  Quaternary Research
  Reviews of Geophysics
  Reviews of Geophysics and Space Physics
  Science
  Tellus
  Weather and Forecasting   

---------------
Subject: Professional Societies 

[If you know of others which are not listed here, please let us
know so we can add them to this list.]

  American Meteorological Society
  American Geophysical Union
  Australian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society
  Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society (CMOS).
  Deutsche Meteorologische Gesellschaft (German Meteorological Society)
  European Geophysical Society
  International Glaciological Society
  Meteorological Society of Japan
  Royal Meteorological Society
  The Oceanography Society